Posts Tagged ‘hearing aids’

Preemies and hearing loss

Wednesday, July 30th, 2014

baby's earNearly 3 in 1,000 babies (about 12,000) are born with some kind of hearing loss in the United States each year. Most babies get their hearing checked as part of newborn screening before they leave the hospital. Newborn screening checks for serious but rare conditions at birth.

If your baby doesn’t pass his newborn hearing screening, it doesn’t always mean he has hearing loss. He may just need to be screened again. If your baby doesn’t pass a second time, it’s very important that he gets a full hearing test as soon as possible and before he’s 3 months old.

The risk of hearing loss is significantly higher in babies born with a very low birth weight (less than 1500 grams). However, hearing loss can be caused by other factors, such as genetics, family history, infections during pregnancy, infections in your baby after birth, injuries, medications or being around loud sounds. See our article  to learn more about the different causes of hearing loss.

Possible treatments

Different treatments are available depending on your child’s level of hearing loss, his health, and the cause of the hearing loss. They include medication, surgery, ear tubes, hearing aids, cochlear implants, learning American Sign Language and receiving speech therapy.  The article on our website discusses each of these types of treatments.

If a child needs speech therapy, it can usually be provided through the early intervention program for babies and toddlers. Read this post to understand how to access services. The sooner your child gets help, the sooner language skills will emerge and improve.

If you need more detailed information, check out these sites:

Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Program

Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act 2004 (IDEA 2004)  

Hearing loss treatment and intervention services

Note:  This post is part of the weekly series Delays and disabilities – how to get help for your child. It was started in January 2013 and appears every Wednesday. While on News Moms Need and click on “Help for your child” in the Categories menu on the right side to view all of the blog posts to date (just keep scrolling down). We welcome your comments and input.

 

Button batteries very dangerous to tots

Friday, June 4th, 2010

My youngest grandchild is just one year old – cute as a button!  She’s finally walking, but still crawls around and gets into everything on the low/down a lot.  Like every baby, she sometimes finds things she shouldn’t.

This week I read a  New York Times had an article  about a child who had swallowed “a ‘button’ battery, one of those flat silver discs used to power remote controls, toys, musical greeting cards, bathroom scales and other home electronics.”  Unsure of what was causing their son’s upper respiratory type problems, the parents took him to his doctor several times.  After nine days of severe symptoms, an x-ray showed he had swallowed a button battery.  It was surgically removed the next day and the little guy went home.  Unfortunately, the current of the battery had caused a host of problems to erupt within him during the previous week and the child died two days later.  To this day, the parents don’t know how he got hold of the battery.

I’m lucky that I am in good physical shape and don’t need things like hearing aids.  But my granddaughter’s other grandmother does, as does her great-grandfather.  Those hearing aids use button batteries.  I do get those fun musical greeting cards occasionally, and my husband was changing the battery in the cell phone the other day. 

I also found an article in the June issue of Pediatrics which cites two recent studies. “The most hazardous battery ingested, the 20-mm lithium cell, was intended for use in remote controls in 37.3 percent of cases. Study authors suggest that all consumer electronics powered by 20-mm lithium cells should require a secure battery compartment accessible with a tool (screwdriver) or child-resistant lock to prevent further pediatric ingestions.”  We have remotes for our TVs, DVD player, stereo…  So how secure are your remotes?

In short, those batteries are all around us. They are the size of antacids, of candy.  They are tempting and terrible to tots.  Keep them in a very safe place.